Former chorister Alan Hamilton received a two year contract to work with the Stuttgart Staatsoper, one of Europe’s leading Opera Houses which forms part of the Stuttgart State Theatre (Staatstheater Stuttgart) a three-branch-theatre complex (opera, playhouse and ballet) and represents the largest theatre of its kind in Europe. The opera house itself, formerly known locally as the ”Grosses Haus”, was designed by Max Littmann and opened in 1912 with the world premiere of Richard Strauss’ “Ariadne auf Naxos”. The house, which has been a listed building since 1924, currently has 1,404 seats and a per-season audience of approximately 250,000. The opera house building is one of the few major German opera houses not to be destroyed in the World War II.. The opera house is also home to the Stuttgart Ballet.
An important centre for opera since the 17th century, Stuttgart has again become an important and influential centre since the war, particularly for contemporary works. Three operas by Carl Orff received their premieres there and the company has been associated with figures such as Wieland Wagner, Günther Rennert, Hans Werner Henze and Philip Glass. The company has won the Opera House of the Year award by the German magazine ”Opernwelt” more often than any other company: in 1994 (the inaugural award), 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002 and in 2006..
Alan sang in the Houston Boychoir, attended HSPVA and continued to work for HBC as a staff accompanist throughout his undergraduate work at the Moores School of Music. Since leaving Houston, Alan has earned a Master’s Degree in Collaborative Piano where he studied with Martin Katz and an Artist’s Certificate from The Juilliard School where he has also served on staff.